A Guide to a Successful Interview
First impressions are lasting. Your CV has appealed to the employer and all agree that your skills and experience are well matched to the position. The interview will last no more than an hour or so and during this time you must show why you are the best personality for the job. Ultimately, be yourself to be successful.
Useful tips to consider during the interview:
- Never be late. It is unprofessional and will make the wrong first impression.
- Enter the room with a smile and a positive attitude.
- Shake hands firmly, try to appear calm and maintain eye contact.
- Always be natural during the interview.
- Be alert, sit up in your chair and show you are interested. You convey meaning through how you hold yourself, so be aware of your body language and of the interviewer.
- Answer questions clearly and precisely.
- Be confident when discussing your strong points. Identify weaknesses to show you are aware of them.
- Try to ask questions you have prepared and show a genuine interest.
- Never be negative about a past employer.
- Never discuss remuneration at a first interview unless asked. Financial negotiations and considerations should be discussed with ASH Elite, who will do all the negotiations on your behalf.
- Thorough preparation is the key to a successful interview and a positive attitude reflects well on you.
Questions you could ask at the Interview:
- What are the career prospects?
- Why has the position arisen?
- What is the structure of the department?
- What will the first 6 – 12 months involve?
- What are the main company objectives?
At the end of the interview, shake hands with the interviewer and express your thanks for their time and for the meeting. Be positive and leave a pleasing impression. Enquire about the next stage of the overall process if you feel it is appropriate and ensure they know you are still interested in the position.
After the interview write down your immediate conclusions. You may comment on your interview techniques, or note any questions you would like to ask another time. Use this information when you call ASH Elite with your feedback.